Jan and Dehner's musical arrangements are original and are inventive, often weaving together medleys of songs. Their voices blend beautifully and their vocal arrangements are captivating. Their repertoire of hundreds of songs, spans a variety of styles and in their own unique ways touches each listener in an intimate way. Jan has been praised again and again for her beauty of tone and clarity of diction and Dehner has been hailed by the Seattle Times as, "A Musician Who Knows No Limits!" Together they are a powerhouse of musical inspiration.
Jan plays a Yamaha Electronic Wind Controller which sounds like a variety of different musical instruments: Violin, Cello, Clarinet, Trumpet, Flute, Saxophone and so much more! The sounds are authentic and adds great diversity to their musical performances.
Jan and Dehner Experience is a journey in musical refreshment. Displaying musical prowess from a variety of styles and genres to create an experience that's fresh, invigorating and inspiring.
Born born in the shadow of Windsor Castle in Southern England, Jan Franks was raised by loving parents who infused her with their appreciation of both classical and jazz music. Her early formal training in vocals, piano and woodwind instruments have given her the strong musical background evident in her performances. Strongly influenced by such performers as Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Eva Cassidy, Julie Andrews and Karen Carpenter, Jan brings her own fresh interpretation to the classical, jazz, and contemporary repertoire. Her lilting vocals as well as her sincerity about the music, create an intimacy with her audience, guaranteeing a magical performance.
Professional Singing Credits:
* Featured guest for a concert at the Governor's Mansion in Olympia, WA for the Governor's Chamber Music Series
* Featured guest performer at the Volunteers of America National Conference in Dallas, Texas. Both her singing and her poetry were featured at this performance, her poem being written especially for the VOA Conference
* Performances on the Las Vegas Strip including The Bootlegger, and Pieros
* Concerts at Houston Methodist TMC, Sugarland, and Willowbrook
* Classical piano, St George's Chapel Cloisters, Windsor Castle, UK, Mrs. Joan Norris
* Classical clarinet, Eton College, UK, Professor Andrews
* Classical voice, NVCC, Alexandria campus, Mr Aurelius Gori
* Improvisational Studies in Jazz, NVCC, Annandale campus, Professor Herbert Smith
* Stanislavski's Method of Acting, NVCC Manassas campus
* Jazz Vocal Study Workshop, Elliston music studio, Ronnie Wells and Ron Elliston
* The Theater Lab, Washington DC, Cabaret Workshop, George Fulginiti and Wendy Lane-Bailey
* Jan and Dehner Vocal Ensemble
* Heart to Heart, Contemporary Worship
* Inspirational Poetry Series
*Song Poems (Musical Poems)
Activities and Interests
* Ran the Honolulu Marathon to raise money for the Arthritis Foundation
* Weight Training
* Ballroom Dancing
* Ice Skating (intermediate level)
* Amateur Artist
* Gourmet Cook
*Junior EYC Leader, St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Woodbridge, VA. Led the Junior High School Youth Program, which included fund raising, mission trips, and music ministry
*Graduated from the University of Washington, in Seattle with two Bachelor degrees in Piano, Jazz Studies.
*Tours regularly as Pianist/Musical Director for the Broadway Musical, Ain’t Misbehavin’ which features Franks’ skill at playing Harlem Stride Piano.
*Pianist/Musical Director for the show Five Guys Named Moe
*Several performances with the Governor's Chamber Music Series at the Governor’s Mansion in Olympia, WA with a fellow concert pianist, Judith Cohen. Performances featuring the music of George Gershwin and a seperate concert of Claude Bolling’s Suite for Classical and Jazz Piano. The second half of this show featured Franks’ jazz combo.
*Returned to perform at the Governor's Mansion featuring Dehner's own Two Piano Jazz arrangement of music from Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story. The second half of the concert featured Dehner playing and singing a Vocal Jazz set with his wife, Jan
*Has written original music and performed for Volunteers of America and the Pacific Northwest Ballet. Has written original musicals, both the storyline and all of the music and lyrics. He was honored in Everett, Washington at an annual Christmas show, A Christmas Spectacular for a decade of performances and for having written over 60 original songs; words and music.
*Seattle's prestigious Jazz Alley
*Catalina Bar and Grill in Hollywood
*Yoshi's in San Francisco with the show Ain't Misbehavin'
*Hot Tunes Jazz Festival Port Townsend, WA featuring his solo, Stride piano style
*Miller Outdoor Theater in Houston with Ain't Misbehavin'
*Cezanne Jazz Club in Houston
*Featured pianist with the Everett Symphony
*Several concerts for the Volunteers of America National Convention
*Staff Pianist for NPR Radio Show, Sandy Bradley's Potluck
*Recorded the holiday CD, Holiday Lights for Nordstrom
*International performances in Ghana, West Africa; the Kremlin Palace in Moscow, Russia; Colchester, England
Toured in the United Arab Emirates with singer, Gretchen Hewitt
Get on our mailing list and get information on our new releases and on upcoming performances!
Sign up to hear about upcoming shows, albums, and events.